Frequently Asked Questions


DISCLAIMER: The information on this webpage is not and should not be considered as expert or professional advice.

What are the benefits of permanent residence status in Canada?

There are multiple perks and benefits you and your family can receive when granted with permanent residency in Canada. You and your family could be permitted to live in Canada long-term in any one of the country’s 10 provinces and three territories. You can also later apply for Canadian citizenship if you meet all the requirements. Canadian permanent residents can earn themselves a good living in Canada, start businesses, purchase a home for their family, etc. Children under your permanent residency status will have access to public school systems of both primary and secondary education, all for free. Permanent residency status also gives you access to free public healthcare and you are now under the protection of Canadian laws. If you have any eligible relatives and family members outside of Canada, you can personally sponsor them for a Canadian visa. Furthermore, there is generally a high standard of living in Canada, which is one of the most peaceful countries in the world, is famous for its natural beauty, and is a multicultural country that welcomes immigrants and gives them many opportunities.

How long does the immigration process for Canada take?

The length of the Canadian immigration process will be different for each applicant. However, in general, the entire immigration process takes around 12-18 months. Multiple factors contribute to the length of the process. These factors include the type of Canadian visa program you applied for, your country of residence, and how complete your application is. The latter is especially important because the Canadian immigration agency may outright refuse an application or ask for more information if the application is lacking required information or documents. This can cause significant delays and further lengthens the processing time.

Do my family and I need to travel to Canada as part of the immigration process?

You generally don’t need to visit Canada or have visited Canada in the past as part of the immigration process, with some exceptions. For example, you may need to travel to Canada in some situations, such as to get certified for a trade in a Canadian province when applying for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. Some Provincial Nominee Programs require that the applicant have a “connection” to the province, such as having lived there before (for example, as an international student) or having family in the province. If you were living in Canada in the past (for example, as an international student or temporary foreign worker), you may be able to get points for certain Canadian immigration programs, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Of course, if you and your family are approved for Canadian immigration, you will travel to Canada to start your new lives as permanent residents!

Does having a relative living in Canada help my chances of getting my application accepted?

Yes, you can increase your chances for a successful application if you or your accompanying spouse have a close family member who is currently residing in Canada. They can be a grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, spouse, or a common-law partner who is either a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.

How long does it take to become a citizen of Canada?

Permanent residents of Canada will receive the option to apply for citizenship after living in Canada for a minimum of 3 years during a 5 year period and after successfully meeting all the other criteria for Canadian citizenship. Becoming a Canadian citizen has multiple additional benefits such as the option to apply for a Canadian passport and the ability to vote in elections and run for public office.

What are the immigration programs available for skilled foreign workers in Canada?

There are thousands of jobs available in Canada for skilled foreign workers which cannot be filled by Canadian workers. Because of this, several programs were made so that foreign workers who are proficient in English or French, educated, and skilled in high-demand jobs can immigrate to Canada. Skilled foreign workers and members of their family can apply for permanent residency through programs such as the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program (QSWP), or the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Additionally, “economic Immigrants” who meet the requirements and criteria for the PNP, FSWP, or FSTP can apply for Express Entry immigration to Canada.

How long does it usually take to receive a permanent residency visa when applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

In general, it takes approximately 6-12 months to receive Canadian permanent residency through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), but please note that the amount of time required will vary depending on factors unique to your case. There are certain steps that must be completed before you file your Express Entry profile for immigration to Canada through the FSWP, such as achieving a passing score on an approved English or French evaluation exam and getting a favorable Education Credential Assessment (ECA). Once you file your Express Entry profile and if it is accepted, your file will be placed into the pool of candidates for up to 12 months. In order for you to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA), you must get a qualifying Canadian job offer, or have one of the highest scores on the Comprehensive Ranking System, or receive a nomination for a Provincial Nominee Program. After you get an ITA, you will have up to 60 days to file a complete Application for Canadian Permanent Residency and in most cases, a visa decision will be made within about six months.

What other documents are needed to submit alongside my application?

Every Canadian immigration application must include the name, date of birth, current address, nationality and immigration status of the applicant and his/her family members and also include which class of visa is being requested. Including all of the supporting documents will help strengthen your application and avoid delays in the processing. The required documents generally include birth certificates, marriage certificates, copies of up-to-date passports, proof that you are proficient in either English or French, evidence of past jobs or work experiences, evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and family members, official education credentials such as degrees or diplomas, photos, medical exam results, police certificates, and any other documents that are requested. The Canadian Visa Application Fee and other government fees must also be paid.

Are my assets or my net worth a big factor in determining my acceptance in the selection process?

Yes, providing evidence that you have the funds to support yourself and your family during relocation to Canada is a big factor in getting accepted during the selection process. However, skilled workers who have received a Canadian job offer are exempt from this Proof of Funds requirement.

Do I need to be employed full-time or have full-time employment experience to be able to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

Yes, you must have a minimum of one year of full-time paid work experience during the past 10 years in an occupation that qualifies for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). Occupations that are eligible for the FSWP are listed in the 2016 version of Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC) as Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or Skill Level B.

Can you tell me what the Education Credential Assessment (ECA) is?

The Education Credential Assessment (ECA) is required by skilled foreign workers who received their education outside of Canada and are applying for Canadian immigration through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). You can receive your Education Credential Assessment (ECA) from independent, evaluation companies that are authorized by the Canadian immigration agency. The ECA’s purpose is to accurately evaluate the education you received outside of Canada compared to that of Canadian secondary and post-secondary educational institutions. If you’re applying through the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), you may not be required to get an ECA, but it is still highly recommended to get one. A favorable ECA will be necessary when you complete your Express Entry profile to apply for Canadian immigration through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

What is Express Entry immigration to Canada and what are its procedures?

Canada has a points-based immigration management system called Express Entry. It is used when selecting skilled foreign workers who are going to be given an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa. To apply for Express Entry to Canada, “economic immigrants” must fulfill all the requirements to become eligible for any of the Canadian immigration programs that are qualified for Express Entry. These immigration programs include the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), and Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program. After you submit all the requested information in your Express Entry profile online, an official from the Canadian immigration agency will evaluate the details you provided to see if you meet all of the criteria for any of the immigration programs that are qualified for Express Entry (i.e., FSWP, PNP, FSTP or CEC). You can receive up to 1200 points for various factors (such as English or French language skills, education, relevant work experience, etc.) on your Comprehensive Ranking Score. All eligible applicants will be placed in a pool of candidates that have a chance to be issued an ITA or Invitation to Apply. After the ITA is issued, the candidate will have 60 days to file a complete Canadian visa application for permanent residency and a decision is usually given within six months.

Can you tell me more about what the Invitation to Apply (ITA) is?

An Invitation to Apply (ITA) is the official name for the invitation issued by the Canadian immigration agency to eligible skilled foreign workers whose profile was in the Express Entry pool of immigration candidates. This invitation means that the individual can now apply for a Permanent Resident Visa to Canada through the Express Entry System. ITAs are only issued to individuals who meet certain criteria. These criteria include having one of the top scores on the Comprehensive Ranking System, receiving a job offer from a Canadian employer that qualifies for Express Entry, or getting a nomination from one of the Canadian provinces or territories under the Provincial Nominees Program (PNP). After receiving the Invitation to Apply (ITA), the individual has 60 days to make a fully complete application for a Canadian visa with the national immigration agency. The decision is typically made within 6 months from the time of submission.

What are some ways to find work in Canada?

The Internet has helped open up thousands of Canadian job opportunities to millions of people needing them. Seeking and applying for jobs in Canada has never been as easy and convenient, since you can do it from anywhere in the world. As long as you have a working computer and access to an Internet connection, you can search for jobs in Canada and apply for open positions online. One excellent website that you can visit when looking for jobs in Canada is the Canadian government’s Job Bank. Individuals can conveniently search for job openings for specific occupations all over Canada or if you want, you can specify the locations such as a particular city or province. You can also visit multiple job search websites across the web to find what’s currently available in Canada. Potential employers also have Canadian job openings posted on their websites designed for job-seekers looking for opportunities, where you can submit your applications and/or CVs online. Programs such as Skype or Zoom also make it possible to conduct online interviews via video conferencing. However, some employers from Canada may opt for in-person, face-to-face job interviews.

Can my family immigrate to Canada with me?

Yes, if your spouse or partner (opposite sex or same sex), and children under 22 years of age who do not have a spouse or partner, meet the eligibility requirements, they can also immigrate to Canada with you. Everyone applying for Canadian immigration must meet the criteria for good health and good character, among other requirements.

Do I need to know English or French to immigrate to Canada?

Yes, skilled foreign workers who are applying for immigration to Canada must demonstrate that they have a particular level of English or French language abilities as measured by receiving a certain score on a language evaluation exam approved by the Canadian immigration agency (such as the IELTS or TEF). The passing test scores will vary, depending on the specific Canadian immigration program, but test scores generally must be less than two years old.

Can my family and I receive healthcare while living in Canada?

Yes, if you are approved for immigration to Canada as a permanent resident, you and your family members who accompany you can receive free or subsidized public healthcare in the province or territory where you will be living in Canada. Some of the provinces or territories have a waiting period for new residents (for example, up to 90 days), so be sure to check about the healthcare policy of the province or territory where you want to live in Canada and register for public healthcare as soon as you arrive.

What is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)?

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) is a document issued by the Canadian immigration agency to a new permanent resident before they move to Canada or when they arrive in the country. This official document confirms that an immigrant has been approved for Canadian permanent residency. A new permanent resident will also need to pay a small fee in order to receive the Permanent Residence Card, which is carried as a form of identification in Canada and is proof of Canadian permanent resident status.

To learn which Canadian immigration program you are eligible to apply for